Complaint investigation & resolution
Companies often fail to realize how vulnerable they are until an issue flares up, causing lost productivity, lost profit and potential loss of key staff. Our services in this area include:
We plan and conduct harassment investigations from start to finish. This includes complaints related to harassment and discrimination, as well as allegations of wrongdoing. Our clients call on us again and again for our thorough and clear reports, as well as our objectivity and professionalism.
Advice and coaching
Consultation and/or coaching services are available to Human Resources staff or managers. Given proper authority, we can also act as your liaison with the relevant human rights commission in your jurisdiction.
We provide objective expert advice on:
- conducting investigations;
- preparing investigation reports;
- resolving complaints; and
- responding to and managing discrimination complaints submitted to federal or provincial human rights commissions.
Review of complaint investigation reports
We review internal investigation reports to:
- determine if they comply with internal policies and procedures, and relevant legislation;
- recommend a corporate position for the resolution of problems;
- ensure they are complete and bias-free;
- assess whether the employer is at risk in terms of meeting third-party scrutiny; and
- measure them against the “due diligence” test to determine whether the employer has met its corporate responsibilities.
Support services for employees involved in complaints
We provide confidential advice and guidance to employees who are not represented by a union or employee association, and who require assistance and support throughout the complaint process regarding:
- harassment policies and guidelines;
- dispute resolution options;
- the complaint process; and
- rights and responsibilities.
The number of employees seeking help for harassment has almost tripled from 1999 to 2001.
- Warren Shepell, Health & Wellness Research Database, 2005